20 March, 2010

Barnet: fair

Even though it was wet. Barnet is at the end of the Northern Line and the station is called High Barnet although it really should be called Chipping Barnet, as that is the name of the town. The same happens at Chipping Ongar. I think London Underground somehow think that the word 'chipping' isn't very nice. That aside it was a wet day so I just did the town. I missed the old alms houses and the museum (as it takes a lunch break) but the church was open.
.
The reredos appeared to be victorian but there was a good modern stained glass window in the tower that looks much the same as it did in 1940 when the Kings England guide to Herts was published. The Folk Museum at East barnet is just a memory though - I once looked for it and found it derelict.
I did notice a lot of senility on the street and in the shops - most disturbing. Perhaps the proximity of the former Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum (Friern Barnet Hospital) now being turned like everything else into yuppie hutches has led to this madness. There were about 5 people obviously in mental distress in Barnet High Street alone.

I moved on to North Finchley and Friern Barnet where part of the hospital had not had anything done to it. I suppose nobody wants to live in a turrett..

I then went home via a friend in Hornsey.

1 comment:

Ferrers said...

Dear Rrichard,

The "turrett" is in fact a water tower! I don't understand why, other than it's probably over an existing well, it wasn't incorporated into the main building at a higher elevation. It is Grade II listed and on the "At Risk Register" Built circa 1850.

All the best,
Ferrers

www.bwtas.blogspot.co.uk