22 July, 2011

Egham Surrey

A rather whistle stop visit to Egham but I missed out Royal Holloway with its art collection. The College was up a hill and I didn't fancy the walk.

The late Georgian church was locked when I called but was quite pleasant outside.

The high street contained sculptures and plaques about King John and the Magna Carter, which was signed - where? Can anybody tell me? Yes Joe it was at the bottom. The Magna Carta was signed at Runnymede, near Egham. Time was limited so I didn't try to find this guarantee of the rule of law (and therefore lawyers). The museum has a reproduction of the copy in Salisbury Cathedral as well as memorabilia from the two Royal Holloway institutions.

There is also an old grammar school (now a sixth form college) curiously with an almshouse attached, although I don't think the almshouse is operational any more.

A prosperous and charming little town.

No comments: